Brake Master Cylinder

the brakes are good .... except that on rare occasions the fluid level drops. I tracked that down to a leak from the master cylinder into the booster. Southam Mini metro showed me how to disconnect the vacuum hose and suck up the fluid from the booster with a syringe. Some internet advice was, "just top it up, brake fluid is cheap" but I want to have 100% confidence in the brake system.

It is a Bendix master cylinder and booster (later models used a Bosch version) it is only available as a complete unit part number 414844300  superseded by 99436561 The parts are common across the range.

Shock horror

Iveco dealers say that the part is discontinued and completely unavailable. that's the first time they have let me down, all sorts of odd bits and pieces even those special to a 4x4 seemed to be available from special order if not from stock.
Vexi say the same. Zepplin trading (cheap Iveco Parts) agreed but helpfully gave me some other contacts. the forum also helped.

part number LM70157 BY DELPHI seemed to be an equivalent for the master cylinder.

UAB Veroloda in Lithuania Email: uabveroloda@gmail.com were most helpful, very responsive to email. Bought for £70

Looks right

The part looked right so .....
spare weekend booked, all nuts loosened (no trouble). then I carefully removed the old reservoir (that part is also discontinued). After a thorough cleaning I mounted it on the new cylinder. With Zoe's help I bled it in while on the bench as advised.

Don't drop it .... Oh ! .....

So I undid the old cylinder. I needed to carefully preserve the vacuum seal between booster and master cylinder. And also taking care not to let the old cylinder drop as I might want to reuse it. 

last nut undone ....

Nothing. It did not budge. more force nothing. Taps with a hammer nothing.
Danger! I must not damage the booster. I can't buy a new one and old ones are as old as mine! if the booster gets damaged, I have to modify an assembly from a a later model. Advice from forums .. try harder. So I hit it with a lump hammer .. hard ... several times.
Off at last.

Beautiful

All looking good. 
Bled the brakes and flushed out all the old fluid. Zoe helped so that I could watch the old fluid coming out at each wheel. Used a Halfords tube and valve. It look surprisingly good. I guess Leigh had done it all carefully not long before I bought it.

Old and new. Cap sealed with Stixall. It's on the vice where we bled it.


In place, looking good (note that it has an unused port at the back. the MC came with blanking plugs.

Booster with Master cylinder removed. Note that it is not sealed and actually has a drain and vent slot
Old cylinder ready for resale or storage.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade