On the road repairs

Here is just an odd list of the little jobs that needed doing on our big trip. Some have longer blogs to themselves:

Solar controller changed to MPPT. I'd upgraded from 20Amp MPPT to 40 Amp because techncially my 280W solar panels can give out more than 20Amps. This was a mistake though. The old controller still worked in bright sun but just could not use all available power. My main problem was getting the most power out in poor light conditions - that's where MPPT wins. So I now have a bimble solar 40Amp MPPT controller (and a spare Steca 40A PWm controller - any offers?).

Rear Step rebuilt in Tafraoute using local materials. Wood and Diabond as used by the many small workshops making windows.

Exhaust brackets welded by a small workshop at the side of the road.

Alternator failure. I'd had that before so I recognised the symptoms. Well I'd expected to buy a new alternator and wait a couple of weeks. Instead a small workshop in Safi disassembled it, did somre tests and bought a new Bosc regulator. He went to some trouble to test the alternator before fixing it. Three hours work and a bill of £30. He was embarrassed when I gave  tip!

Rear diff spring failed in the sand on an off trad track. I simply swapped with the front diff springs and carried on a few minutes later.

Passenger window winder, failed. The motor may have been OK, but the track juddered to a halt. Thanks to Zoe for bringing out a complete new mechanism.

Oil leak from the cam cover. I added extra sealant, but really needed a new gasket and some replacement studs (M6 15mm+ 30mm ). So that was repeated alter when I had a new gasket and nuts and studs.

Cab heater radiator had a small leak. Not sure if it was from the radiator or control valve. A complete unit was readily available and even a genuine iveco part 93930676 on stock clearance. Not a difficult job to do.

CV boot, I repaired a small cut in the boot. It was a temporary repair using superglue and a scrap on inner tube. It worked so well that I am living with it for now.

Ball joint rubber boots on the tie rod arms: 3 out of 4 were perished. Fortunately, thanks to friends, I got some replacement boot. Still a hard job to do, but all four now complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade