Cam Timing Belt change

Scary. If the belt fails the engine is wrecked

So I booked it in with the Iveco dealer. It was one job that I was prepared to pay for. I dropped the vehicle off, and went to wait in the library. Guest trucks rang to give a quote of £780. Wow! I went back to collect it and research how to do the job myself.

Well it needs bumper, front grille and radiator removed. Physically big but not too challenging. Lots of photos of the engine as I went in case I forgot how it went back together.

Alignment of crank, cam and injector pulleys is crucial. The marks on the top cam pulley is clear. A fine notch in the pulley and mark on the crankcase. The injector pulley has a hole for a 5mm drill bit that locks it in place. The crankshaft  is more puzzling, with conflicting advice. There is no mark on the crankshaft pulley. The crankshaft itself had a wide notch that seemed to line up with TDC. However I also found a notch on the flywheel, looking through the clutch housing, because the flywheel was so large, this was quite a sensitive alignment. There was a comment on the forum that it was not a reliable alignment mark, but it seemed like it to me and it seemed designed as an alignment mark.

Advise notes are on the iveco forum
Parts required were:

Belt 98415921 
Top pulley 2997797 
Bottom pulley (identical on my 2.8l engine) 2997797 (old part no 99432547 )
Tensioner 445506  4279745 £16.15

Timing belt
On parts list 98415921 
or
Equivalent as supplied 500323627  


Subsequent advice is to replace the engine studs that hold the tensioner pulley.
7301674 (and M8 x 25 13517021 )


I think I have tracked down a PIC for the engine ( 13034424 ) engine number 1815310 onwards. That says both pulleys should be 99432547, but that seems to be obsolete.


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade