Stuck in Napton

The go anywhere motorhome got stuck ... just one mile down the road in Napton brickworks old quarry.

8pm on Friday evening I went down the road to empty the fresh water tank. Not quite dark so I decided to check out the diff locks by driving off road in the old brickworks quarry nearby. Most of the clay was rock hard so I drove into the reed bed. No problem. Then again ... and I'm stuck. All four wheels spinning.

Well the name ''Brickyard Quarry" says it all. The clay had packed into all the tread. And a wet day slip had coated the wheels. I had a winch but no anchor point. I spent an hour with bricks and waffle boards before giving up.

It was dark. But I nervously left it overnight and walked home.

The next morning it was still there. The overnight rain only made it more hopeless. See pictures below. I needed help.









Charlie from next door stopped what he was doing and came on long with his pickup. I clipped on my winch cable and -...dragged the pickup backwards. Fortunately my neighbour not only has a helpful inclination, he also owns a digger, which he went back for.

That did the job.

Lessons learnt.....

1) Don't go off-roading at 8pm.
2) Beware of wet clay.
3) Be grateful for good neighbours
4)      . . . . with diggers
5) The winch does not work with the clutch depressed.
6) A winch is very useful
7) . . . . but only witha good anchor point.

It does show-he when stuck I only need a big vehicle nearby-the winch will do the rest


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade