Fuel hose replacement

The fuel hose from Pollack valve to engine was showing deep cracks, everywhere I looked, generally on the outer of any curved sections. Just like on link.
I bought a new length (3m was just right - a bit closer than I'd intended) bought from eBay:

apparently the standard specification is SAE 30 J6, I used SAE 30J9 which is higher specification, though I doubt that makes any difference. I wanted more durable, but the  J9 is primarily better for biofuels because of is less permeable. http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm is a helpful site.

Note that steel outer braiding is not recommended as it can hide potential problems and small leaks. In brake hoses an outer braiding adds strength to with stand the high hydraulic pressures.

One finished I dissected he old hose. it is three layers: An inner (rubber or Nitrile tube: braiding of some sort: outer rubber tubing. The cracks had penetrated right through the outer tube, but had stopped at the braiding. The inner section seemed undamaged. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade