Windscreen and Leaks

This blogs tells you how a windscreen works! 

that may seem obvious - but its not. Trust me, I've found nine relevant drainage holes that all help to keep the rain out.

New windscreen and I still got leaks. Squirted in sealant and used black stixall in places. It leaked more than ever.

The only thing left to change was the rubber seal. I bought a new windscreen seal from Vexi, part number  93940727 (or 93936149 ). It is the wrong one, my vehicle started life as a high room van and they have a different windscreen seal with a wider rubber at the top. Iveco call the seals "Filler sections". I ordered the right seal part number 93902026



I removed new windscreen myself - scary. treated the small amount of rust, and tried to understand how the rubber seal works:


Removing the old seal myself starting at top left.




The glass goes into a slot in the rubber seal. If water gets past the glass to rubber seal it can drain out through two slots in rubber. Holes ONE and TWO

The rubber clearly seals to the vehicle as can be seen from the outside, however it also seals to cab with an inner seal. In between the two is a channel where water can flow down to the bottom of the windscreen and flow out through two depressions in the cab panel. THREE, FOUR. There are also two holes in the panel hidden by the outer part of the seal, that provides an extra water escape route into the engine bay. FIVE, SIX On the driver's side only there is a similar drainage hole inside the vehicle. SEVEN. In very the top corner of the engine bay is a concealed hole to allow some of this water to drain into the wing panel (I'm not sure where exactly) EIGHT, NINE 



Drainage depression (3,4) and hole(5,6)



Wrapped up for the storms

Windscreen refitted by Warwickshire windscreens man for £40. It was  hard job.

What I did wrong

Don't use sealant. It just clogged up the drainage holes and made the leaks worse.

I should have had a plan to clean and rust treat the cab when the new window was put in - not easy with an insurance funded replacement from autoglass.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade