MOT 2014

MOT 2014

8 Jan 2014 Napton

It failed with a daunting list, but it was probably one of the best conducted MOTs I've had. The faults were of real concern. I already had plans to deal with them. ironic that every fault was there much the same the year before and the year before when it passed!

  1. Two Tyres with cuts
  2. Both rear suspension air bags cracked
  3. Play in the anti roll bar
  4. Vertical movement of the steering rack.

15 Jan 2014

One week later. All fixed. MOT passed.
(1) Tyres swapped for the pair I had as spare. I'm keeping one cut tyre as my spare anyway. I've driven on it for two years and the tyres are so substantial that even the deep cuts don't reach the cords.
(2) Airbags are on a separate post.
(3) The bushes were not worn, they were quite new. The anti roll ball is 15mm diameter when the bushes are designed for 18mm. I'll get one made eventually. In the meantime I made stainless steel spacer.
(4) I'd fixed this last year by rebuilding the whole steering column. There was admittedly some residual play. I just loosened the column support raised it up and re-tightened. The fixings are designed to have adjustment.
Anti roll bar, showing gaps


Anti roll bar, stainless collett in place






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Start system Thermostarter

Fuel tank

Alternator upgrade